Sweet and Sour Duck Recipe
Recipe time: 30 minutes
- 2 duck breasts
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 can of pineapple chunks (set juice aside)
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 green pepper (large chop)
- 1 onion (large chop)
- White rice or Noodles to serve over
To Cook the Duck:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Score the skin side of the duck breast with a knife a few times.
- Season the duck breast with a little salt and pepper.
- Using a cold skillet, place the duck breast skin side down (no oil) and then turn heat on to medium.
- Heat the breast for 6 to 8 minutes or until skin is golden brown.
- Pour off the fat often as you are searing.
- Flip duck breast to meat side and sear for 30 seconds.
- Place duck breast on a roasting pan (with rack) in oven on middle rack. Roast for 10 minutes (for rare duck, can roast longer if you like your duck more cooked. Try 18 minutes for medium).
- Once you remove from oven let rest while you prepare the sauce.
For the Sauce:
- In a mixing bowl add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil,juice from the pineapple, sugar, corn flour, ketchup and vinegar. Whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok on high, then add the peanut oil and ginger and stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the green pepper chunks, onion chunks and stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Now add the pineapple chunks and the sauce mixture to the wok.
- Bring to the boil for a minute or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cooked duck (slice or rough dice first) and stir through, continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve over white rice or noodles.